Easy Ways to Improve MPGs
It may be the latter half of the summer, but that doesn't mean the fun is stopping anytime soon. If your kind of fun involves long drives to great destinations than you'll want to ensure you do your part to get the best fuel efficiency possible from your vehicle. No matter what you drive there is a few things you can do to keep those MPGs as high as possible. Here we have a few maintenance tips, as well as driving tips, to keep you on the road and away from the pump.
Auto Maintenance Tips
First and foremost, it is important that you always keep up with scheduled maintenance services. Aside from that, here are a few tips to keep your spirits and your MPGs up!
- Inflate the tires - Underinflated tires take more power to turn, which means the engine is working harder to go the same distance.
- Replace spark plugs - The spark plugs are what ignite the air and fuel mix inside the combustion chamber. If they become corroded it will result in misfiring, which reduces engine power and fuel efficiency.
- New air filter - A dirty air filter may prevent the correct amount of air from getting inside the engine. To compensate the vehicle will need to burn additional gasoline.
- Keep up with oil changes - As mentioned, scheduled services are key to a long life for your car, and oil changes are one of the most critical maintenances.
By following these easy ideas you'll find more money in your pocket and spend more time on the road.
- Follow the speed limit - Did you know that most cars get their best fuel efficiency between 55 and 60 MPH? That's why that is also a common speed limit on freeways all over the country.
- Reduce vehicle weight - Excess weight in the car can cause the motor to drink up gasoline faster than necessary. This is because the heavier the load, the more work it takes to move it. Unload anything that isn't essential!
- Don't idle - Many people tend to believe that if they are making a quick stop they should keep the motor running because it takes more gas to start the car then to let it idle! This isn't true, at least not anymore. Older cars used carburetors and this used to be the case. Today cars are fuel injected, so idling is just a waste of fuel.
If you need any assistance with auto maintenance in Lancaster, PA, visit family-owned McKonly's Garage. We strive to provide the highest quality auto maintenance and repair for all makes and models. Give us a call at (717) 208-8210 to request expert car maintenance in Lancaster today.
McKonly's Garage Blog
Written By Brian Corey
Published By MORBiZ
Is Your Car Up To Date with Oil Changes?
When was the Last Time your Car had a Wheel Alignment?
Is it Time for Radiator Repair? 3 Things to Check For
Customer Reviews of McKonly's Garage in Lancaster, PA
Top Fuel Delivery Problems
4 Common Signs Your Car Needs Engine Repair
What Happens if You Ignore Signs of Car Trouble?
Expert Auto Repair in Lancaster, PA
4 Common Signs of Starter Motor Failure
Easy Ways to Improve MPGs
Does my Car Have an Exhaust Leak?
How to Tell if it is Time for Brake Repair
5 Common Check Engine Light Problems
Common Auto Electric Problems You Should Know
4 Causes of a Failed Emissions Test
How to Know if You Need Cooling System Repair
Should I go to the Auto Repair Shop if...
5 Signs Your Vehicle Needs a Wheel Alignment
Must do: End of Summer Auto Maintenance
My Car Won't Start, What Could it Be?
Is it Time for Transmission Repair or Service?
When does my car need a tune-up?
Is it Time for New Shocks or Struts?
Top Signs of Alternator Failure
What's that Noise? 4 Sounds that Mean You Need a Repair
This Means Your Need Brake Repair Now
What does that Light Mean? Common Dashboard Warning Lights
4 Signs of a Dangerous Exhaust Leak
4 Routine Auto Services to Never Skip
This Could Mean it is Time for Engine Repair!
5 Auto Maintenance Services Never to be Skip
Terms to Know When Buying New Tires
How to Prepare Your Car for Your Summer Road Trip
What Exactly is a Tune Up?
FAQ: Emissions Testing & Repair
Why is the Check Engine Light On?
Is it Time to Replace the Timing Belt?
5 Smells that Mean it is Time for Auto Repair
Top Symptoms of Brake Failure You Need to Know!
Do These 4 Noises Mean I Need Auto Repair?
Does my car need a new alternator?
How to tell if your Car Needs Clutch Repair
Car Won't Start? 4 Signs Your Starter has Failed
4 Signs your Vehicle Needs Suspension Repair
3 Reasons to Never Skip Oil Changes
5 Signs You Need Transmission Repair
Easy Maintenance Ideas to Improve Fuel Efficiency
5 Reasons Your Car Will Likely Fail an Emissions Test
Common Troubles of the Fuel System
Is it Time for Power Steering Repair?
4 Signs of Cooling System Trouble
10 Tips to Prepare Your Vehicle for Winter
What is Factory Scheduled Auto Maintenance?
The Importance of Tire Maintenance
My Car Won't Start... What's Wrong?
A Guide to Vehicle Fluid Leaks
3 Signs Your Car Needs Engine Repair
5 Signs Your Car Needs Brake Repair